BOROUGH OF BARNSLEY SWIMMING CLUB
Squad performance and expectations for the Youth Squad
The following requirements are based on the LTAD document published by British Swimming.
The main objective of Youth Squad is to train to their highest achievable level and work towards a place in the A Squad.
The squad performance and expectations are as follows:
Age Range 13yrs +Female/Male
-3 swim sessions per week & 1 land based session on appointment.
Absence from training, time trials and meets
Separate arrangements can be made in agreement with the head coach for the GSCE & A Level exam periods.
Otherwise if for any reason a swimmer is unable to attend a training session, time trial or meet the squad coach should be advised by email (in advance whenever possible) with a brief explanation of circumstances. Such circumstances could include school commitments, injury, illness, family events and holidays but this list is not exhaustive.
Competition Expectations & Commitment:
- Compete at all designated level one, two and three meets that an athlete may qualify for and National, Regional and County events qualified for in an individual or relay events. Minimum of 6 meets per season.
- Compete at all team galas or league meets invited to by the coaching staff.
- Athletes must not enter open meets that are not on the BOBSC Competition Calendar. Any athlete wishing to do so must seek permission from the head coach.
- Athletes should compete in every event at least once per year up to the distance of 400m.
- Competing at Club Championships & time trials is essential for swimmers to improve racing skills
- Ensure that you arrive to all meets 20 minutes early.
- Ensure that you arrive to all afternoon/evening meet warm ups 10mins early on pool side.
- Allow for 10mins stretches prior to AM Meet warm ups. Allow for 10 minutes stretches prior to PM meet warm ups.
- Where and when possible fulfil the full pre-race warm ups & post-race swim downs. Should swim down facilities be unavailable stretching must be completed.
- A swimmer wishing to withdraw from events on the day of a meet will only be allowed to do so with the permission of the Head Coach/coach on pool side and only in extreme cases.
Training Kit required Swim Bag: Fins, snorkel, kick board, finger/hand paddles, pull buoy, band.
Land based kit: Trainers, BOBSC shirt, shorts.
The squad coaches meet at periodic intervals and monitor the extent to which swimmers fulfil the squad performance and expectations for the Youth Squad. The coaches will also take into account the commitment, performance, effort and attitude shown by a swimmer both in training and in competition.
Where a swimmer is considered not to be performing in accordance with the expectations set out above the areas on concern will be discussed with the swimmer and his/her parent/guardian; where appropriate an agreed plan for improvement will be put in place; and a timescale for improvement will be agreed.
Squad movements will be made solely at the discretion of the coaches and the Head Coach.
The coaches will take into account the swimmer appraisals and, where appropriate, a swimmer’s response to areas of concern. The coaches will also take into account each individual swimmer’s reasons for absence from training, time trials, club championships and meets.
Swimmers in the Youth Squad are at the “Training to Train” stage.
Training to train:
During the Training to Train stage, there should be an emphasis on aerobic conditioning. This is the stage where there is greater individualisation of fitness and technical training. The focus should still be on training rather than competition and the training should be predominantly of high volume, low intensity workloads.
B.O.B.S.C Head Coach